Accessibility Flare Check-in #3

Here’s the video chat info for tomorrow, and we’ll summarize the meeting here afterward. Anyone’s welcome!

Bristlemouth Accessibility Flare Check-in #3
Thursday, August 1 · 10:30 – 11:00am
Time zone: America/Los_Angeles
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/tnm-yniw-cgc
Or dial: ‪(US) +1 502-622-8027‬ PIN: ‪616 018 017‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/tnm-yniw-cgc?pin=1156337549915

Reminder for anyone interesting in hanging out — we’re about to get started. It’s a very casual meeting discussing how the last week has gone. We’d love to meet more folks from the community!

This week I have been working on extracting FreeRTOS/Platform specific function calls from the BCMP code and using the callbacks method to provide them for BCMP to use.

I was able to extract malloc, free, delay, and getMS functions and provide them back using the callback method. None of these are too FreeRTOS specific and should share the same/similar return types across platforms. So next I will try to pull away the more FreeRTOS specific functions like xSemaphoreTake and xSemaphoreGive. I will initially do this without focusing on an RTOS abstraction and then see what I run into when I try to make it more RTOS abstract.

1 Like

Another small thing that I tested this morning was using a 10BaseT1L media converter, this one in particular 10BaseT1L-MC, to be able to get the Bristlemouth packets directly onto my laptop. I was able to connect the media converter directly to the mote and then have the Bristlemouth packets show up in Wireshark!

Unfortunately this media converter is out of stock and it seems like it will only be re-stocked if there is considerable interest. However, the schematics, FW and everything else one would need to make one of these is available at GitHub - ArrowElectronics/10BASE-T1L-MC!

1 Like

This past week I’ve mainly been working on a rust proof-of-concept that can run on the mote. The idea is if I can basically get the ADIN working, then I can create a basic Bristlemouth core crate. I’ve pushed my work-in-progress to my personal github here: GitHub - towynlin/bm-mote-rs-poc1. Right now reading the SPI bus from the ADIN mostly gives zeros, so something about the board isn’t set up correctly yet.

If I get stuck on that for too long, I might switch gears to work on a Bristlemouth core library crate with unit tests on my host machine that could be added to the mote executable later. With Victor’s find of that 10BaseT1L adapter in the office, I may give that a try as well to iterate on a rust bm core proof of concept.

I’ve also been chatting with @zack_j about building the open source ecosystem and about potential future governance models, a topic we’re both super interested in.

And one more thing — good first issue posted! I’d love for someone in the community to see that and take it on. We’re super happy to help guide anyone who’s interested toward a solution.