Real-time Passive Acoustic Monitoring with Bristlemouth and Smart Mooring

Our team at the University of New Orleans is working with SoFarOcean to integrate a PAM hydrophone onto bristlemouth. We’re hoping to enable burst retrieval of spectra, onboard storage of full waveform data, and the possibility for edge/onboard event detection algorithms to send count and timing data of fisheries and marine mammal events over Iridium/cellular network via the Smart Mooring platform.

We are still in the development phase with the goal of having PAM-integrated buoys in the water by Summer 2024. We wanted to create a topic here to facilitate discussion between other groups interested in similar systems.

1 Like

This is awesome, @rcmahon !

@joshua.powell36 @cverlinden check it out!

1 Like

Hi @rcmahon !

@cverlinden and I are working on some similar stuff. Are you designing your own hardware?

Cheers
Julian

1 Like

interested as well as @AngelSharks XPRIZE Carbon removal currently working with Open Computer Vision for marine mammal encounters.

1 Like

Looking forward to following your work. I am doing something similar with the objective of recording whale song. I’ll be developing and testing in the Bay of Banderas (Puerto Vallarta) Mexico. I just got approved and don’t have any equipment yet but I’ll post when I do.

3 Likes

@rcmahon, this is a very useful feature. Let me know if you need any help with the signal processing / event detection portion of the project.

2 Likes

Glad to hear more folks are doing passive acoustic monitoring! We are doing something similar for the deep ocean at Portland State U with a passive acoustic array integrated with something like an Argo float. I’m looking at Bristlemouth as a possibility to provide power to the array and to transfer digitized data back.

2 Likes

@rmcgurrin This is the thread I mentioned to you where people are sharing about their passive acoustic monitoring projects - they’d probably be interested to hear about what you’re working on!

1 Like

Hi @rcmahon,

I too am very interested in integrating a PAM device onto the bristlemouth dev-board. I’m imagining a use-case where the PAM can pick up unnatural/man-made sounds under water. Please let me know if there is anyway i can be of assistance, and if you continue to provide updates on your progress i would be extremely interested. Thank you

2 Likes

Glad to hear there seems to be a ton of interest and groups working along similar lines! We’re still ironing out the details on exactly what the integration will look like in order to get past the short term hurdle of enabling communication between the ethernet icListen, which is likely to be our hydrophone of choice, and bristlemouth going.

I thought I would put it out here in case any of y’all are planning to be at Ocean Sciences Meeting in New Orleans next week, I’d be happy to coordinate a little meeting/discussion about PAM-Bristlemouth integration. If folks are in town it could be a good opportunity to put some ideas out there about coordinating some efforts. I’d be happy to facilitate that either by saying folks can just swing by my group’s poster (Wed. evening session CP34A-1863) or over coffee at some point.

@tosca @julianblanco @AngelSharks @gherlein @PeterSubSea @pdx @andrew_f

1 Like

Which icListen hydrophone have you chosen? Why do you like it?

We’ve been working with the icListen HF, primarily because of the need for the higher frequency end for dolphin echolocation clicks, which will be one of the species of interest in our system.

Just in case it is of interest to anyone, we have been working with Sensor tech Canada to get custom phones made for specific frequency bands / receive sensitivities. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

Thought I would post a brief update on current progress - we are currently having three icListen HF hydrophones’ ethernet comms bridged to the bristlemouth dev kit RS232 using a third party board (gListen) from Cyprus Subsea. Cyprus Subsea is working on putting those together as we speak, with an expected ready-time in July. I’ll keep everyone posted as those come back to us.

2 Likes